Debi Scimeca-Diaz Professional Background
February 9, 2022 @ 9:00 am - February 15, 2022 @ 5:00 pm
EFT Externship: A 4-day Workshop
With: Debi Scimeca-Diaz
DATES: February 9-10 (Wed.-Thur) & 14-15 (Mon-Tues), 2022
TIME: 9:00 AM –5:00 PM EST each day
PLACE: Two options: Live in Lakewood, NJ or Online webinar
FEE: $1075 early bird fee (until Dec. 1st 2021). Early bird includes discount and complementary CE credits.
Registration is on a first-come-first-served basis
About the Workshop:
Emotionally Focused Therapy, often called EFT, is a form of therapy that strives to help individuals identify the underlying emotions that guide their relationships. The EFT approach was first developed by Susan Johnson and Les Greenberg in the 1980s, and it continues to become one of the most popular and effective ways to improve relationships. EFT is a data validated approach to therapy, based in attachment theory. It is used with couples, families, individuals, and even businesses. Focused on creating connections in relationships. EFT leads to greater fulfillment and success.
The EFT Externship, as developed by Dr. Sue Johnson and presented by ICEEFT-Certified Trainer Debi Scimeca-Diaz, LMFT, LCADC ONLINE, is more than just an introduction to Emotionally Focused Therapy. It is an educational and experiential immersion in learning a new and empirically validated way to work with couples. The EFT Externship is the first step toward EFT Certification
The 4-day EFT externship is not days of lectures and slides. Debi Scimeca-Diaz is a powerful, passionate presenter who believes in “teach, show, do,” which means you will learn through a variety of modalities, including: watching and discussing clinical videos of EFT therapists working with couples; practicing through role plays and experiential exercises that will help you “feel” the model in a safe, supportive way through the assistance of advanced EFT clinicians; and processing through daily small-group “homeroom” sessions, which are a supportive place for questions and group discussion… Additionally, you will have the opportunity to witness Debi practice the model through TWO LIVE CONSULTATIONS, working with two different volunteer client couples.
You will leave the Externship with a new way to conceptualize your work with couples and a road map for how to work in the moment, in the room with them, so that you are more confident in helping your couples reconnect and repair. As often reported by attendees, you may also leave the Externship with a more compassionate way to see the relationships in your own life.
Externship Learning Objectives:
Describe the basic experiential and systemic concepts of an “emotionally focused” approach to couples therapy.
Describe couple distress and relationship repair based on the EFT model and attachment theory.
Assist partners in reprocessing the emotional responses that maintain relational distress.
Assist partners in shaping new interactional patterns and in creating bonding events.
Identify interventions to overcome therapeutic impasses with couples.
There is no known commercial support nor conflict of interest for this program.
Meet the Instructor:
Debi Scimeca-Diaz has studied and trained in Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT) and is one of a small group of ICEEFT Certified Trainers worldwide. Dr. Sue Johnson, director and founder of the International Center for Excellence in EFT (www.iceeft.com), has put her heart and soul into creating, researching, and spreading the life changing benefits of EFT.
• Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist
• Certified Emotionally Focused Trainer and Supervisor (www.ICEEFT.com)
• Clinical Member of the American Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (AAMFT)
• AAMFT Approved Supervisor
• Licensed Clinical Alcohol and Drug Counselor
• With over 25 years experience in the field
Comments from Past Participants:
1) The EFT externship with Debi Simeca Diaz is one of the most valuable trainings I have ever taken. Debi teaches clinicians how to help clients stay with the depth of their emotional experience instead of detouring into context, cognition, and other avoidant strategies. She has a unique blend of gentle compassion, directness, authenticity, and humor. She has a wealth of experience using EFT with complex cases and teaching it to a wide range of clinicians in assorted settings.
Tzipora Shub, LCSW
Private Practice, Brooklyn, NY and Monsey, NY
Clinical Instructor, Wurzweiler School of Social Work
Certified EMDR practitioner
2) I have done this training given by Debi in February 2020 and it has literally changed my work dramatically. She is an incredibly talented clinician AND teacher. I highly recommend it!!
Elchanan Erlanger LSW
WeClique Therapy Center
3) Debi is an amazing person and trainer! She is deeply knowledgeable in EFT and has a unique ability to give it over in an experiential and entertaining way! I learned a lot from her and continue to try and implement the nuggets I have taken with me from the training. I would definitely recommend attending her trainings.
Mordechai Jacobs, LCSW
DBT Intensively trained
4) I took Debi’s EFT training, and it was a game changer in my career as both a couples and individual therapist. During her training, I watched videos of her own work as well as live couple sessions at the training itself. They were the most magnificently life altering therapy sessions I had ever seen. As an attachment-oriented therapist, the style and deep impact of her work really resonated with me. The training was fun, connecting, and very experiential: it was not about the research, it was about the experience.
Chanoch Krohn, LCSW
5) I have recently attended this training and I can attest that it has taken my career to a whole new level!
Aron Hirschfeld, LMSW, CASAC-T, CCTP
6) Attending last year’s EFT Externship with Debi has been the most impactful step in my professional journey thus far and started me on the path toward EFT certification. Debi is an incredible therapist and trainer, and the colleagues I met– and continue to stay in touch with– have been supportive, compassionate, like-minded therapists. I highly recommend this training to all who are able to attend!
Basically, I can’t say enough good about this, and I’m not being paid to say it so feel free to email me privately if you’d like to know more!
Simi Lichtman, LCSW
Please note: since this training will be delivered over 4 days, exact schedule will shift somewhat.
Day 1 AM
Registration and Check in
Introduction to Externship & Attachment Science as a Guide for Psychotherapy ― EFIT, EFCT, EFFT
Basics of the EFT Model ― Experiential & Systemic
Day 1 PM
Overview of the process of change ― Stages and Steps
EFT Tango Across Modalities
Exercise or DVD Clip & Discussion
Day 2 AM
Case Presentation: Live Session or Tape Review or Case Role-Play ― Discussion
Assessment in EFIT & EFCT
Day 2 PM
Stage 1 ― Stabilization / De-escalation of Negative Cycles
Exercise or DVD Clip & Discussion
Day 3 AM
Case Presentation / Live Session or Tape Review / Discussion
Micro Interventions / RISSSC / Catch-the-Bullet / Building Attachment / Slice It Thinner
Day 3 PM
Stage 2 and Change Events
Exercise or DVD Clip & Discussion
Day 4 AM
EFIT ― Goals ― Tango ― Watch DVD Sessions
Forgiveness and Attachment Injuries in EFCT
Day 4 PM
Escalated Couples / Traumatized Individual Clients
Exercises or DVD Clip & Discussion
February 1, 2022 or until all training spaces are filled, whichever comes first.
Notification of Acceptance
Applicants will be notified, via email, of acceptance when registration is complete and payment is received.
Tuition/registration payments are refundable (minus $50) until January 1, 2022. Cancellations after this date are non-refundable. In this situation, we will attempt to find someone to take your slot (based on our waiting list).
Conference is via webinar.
Continuing Education Credit (24) is pending through Commonwealth Educational Seminars for the following professions: Psychologists, Social workers, Mental Health Counselors, and LMFTs. It is the participant’s responsibility to check with their individual state boards to verify CE requirements for their state.
Commonwealth Educational Seminars is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Commonwealth Educational Seminars maintains responsibility for these programs and their content.
Neuhoff Psychological Consulting is entitled to award continuing education credit for Licensed Psychologists in the state of New York.
Commonwealth Educational Seminars (CES) is entitled to award continuing education credit for Social Workers. Please visit CES CE CREDIT to see all states that are covered for Social Workers. CES maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
Commonwealth Educational Seminars is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers. #SW-0444.
Licensed Mental Health Counselors
Commonwealth Educational Seminars (CES) is entitled to award continuing education credit for Licensed Mental Health Counselors. Please visit CES CE CREDIT to see all states that are covered for LMHCs. CES maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
Neuhoff Psychological Consulting is entitled to award continuing education credit for Licensed Mental Health Counselors in the state of New York.
To apply for this training, please send an email to Nachasconsulting@gmail.com with the following information.
Upon receipt of the application, we will be in contact with you regarding acceptance status and payment information.
- Name, Address, Email, telephone
- Highest degree earned, License type & number, and current employer
- Are you interested in CEUs?
- Please copy and past the statements below.
I have the educational training, qualifications, and professional credentials to practice as a mental health professional in the area where I live or I am in a formal training program of supervised internship to become a mental health professional.
I agree to keep confidential the personal identifying information of case material shared in the training.
I agree to not record any part of this training in any format (audio, video, or visual). Personal written notes of non-confidential material are permitted.