IFS Informed EMDR: Bruce Hersey, LCSW
IFS-Informed EMDR: The Internal Family Systems Interweave
By Bruce Hersey, LCSW
DATE: Monday, May 4, 2020
TIME: 9:00 (registration 8:30AM)-4:00 PM
VENUE: Palace Cafe, 2603 Nostrand Avenue Brooklyn, NY 11210
FEE: $220. Early Bird (prior to 4/1/20 $185)
Groups of 3 (additional $25 discount per registrant). Group of 10 (additional $50 discount per registrant). Please email us at NachasConsulting@gmail.com for directions on how to obtain these group discounts.
Includes refreshments, lunch, handouts, Continuing Education credits and Certificate.
Registration is on a first-come-first-served basis. Please scroll to the bottom of this page to register.
Enhance your perspective, make new connections, integrate these two models in creative new ways. When using EMDR, many practitioners have found that, very quickly, we find ourselves dealing with ego states, resistance, and difficulties establishing target states, overwhelm, or maintaining effective dual attention.
Francine Shapiro understood this early on and supplemented the Standard Protocol with the Cognitive Interweave. Many others have since suggested various other interweaves and supplementary or alternative protocols, as well as Resource Development and Installation (RDI).
Internal Family Systems, a systemic ego state model, when superimposed on the EMDR process provides an illuminating map of the process and serves as a guide in selecting the appropriate interweaves or interventions at critical points throughout the EMDR standard protocol.
Participants will learn that functional Dual Attention requires Self-Presence and the co-presence or activation of a Target Part in relationship to the Self. This workshop promotes the understanding that many problems commonly encountered in the EMDR can be averted by recognizing this principle and applying simple practices taught here.
Methods Used for this Training:
Lecture with PowerPoint slides, with video clips of actual sessions to illustrate and practice exercises.
Please see HERE for for a short clip of Bruce Hersey describing IFS informed EMDR
Meet the Instructor:’=
Bruce Hersey, LCSW, is an Approved Consultant in EMDR & Clinical Hypnosis (EMDRIA & ASCH), an AASECT Certified Supervisor in Sex Therapy, and also Certified in IFS (Internal Family Systems Therapy). He is IFS Level Three Trained, a three-time Level One Program Assistant, three-time presenter at the IFS International Conference, and owner & moderator of the Linkedin international discussion group: The Internal Family Systems Network. He practices at Heartspace Wellness Alliance, a space for professional trainings, counseling and wellness practices in Altoona, PA.
Continuing Education Credit (6) is provided by Commonwealth Educational Seminars for the following professions. Psychologists, Social workers, Mental Health Counselors.
Approved for 6 CEUs by EMDRIA, & IFS recertification through the IFS Institute.
9:00-9:45 1. Introduction & Overview
- EMDR & IFS; evidence-based practices
- Within EMDRIA Definition of EMDR
- Specified situations and population
- IFS perspective w/o modification of Standard Protocol
- IFS language fosters improved communication, understanding & rapport
- First four phases in this workshop
- IFS-Informed Assessment Phase, in particular
- IFS-Informed Scales, IFS Interweaves
- EMDR, EST, IFS basic concept equivalence
- EMDR platform, EST framework, IFS layer
9:45-10:15 2. Neuro Networks, Ego States, Parts & Energy
- What are Ego States?
- State-Dependent Memory
- Elements of Internal Experience; EMDR, NLP, BASK, SIBAM
- Burdens, Intentions, & Energy
- Protector Positive Intention (PPI), Protector Negative Cognition (PNC)
- Measuring Energy; SUD
- IFS-Informed Protector Scales; LUU, LUA, LIA, LUP
10:30-11:00 3. Self & Energy
- Augmented Adaptive Information System
- 8C’s, 5P’s, Every Imaginable Resource
- Safety, Security, Stability, Self-Soothing, Affect Regulation
- Relational & Spiritual Layers
- Preparation Phase; Eliciting and Sustaining Self-Presence
- Measuring Self-Energy; POS IFS-Informed Scales
- CIPOS, Back-of-the-Head Scale
- 3m Self-Energy Scales Session Video Clips
11:00-12:00 Experiential Exercise, Video, And/or Demonstration: Protectors
1:00-1:30 4. Re-Defining Dual Attention
- Self-Presence + Burdened Part
- Window of Tolerance; OverArousal & UnderArousal thru IFS lens
- Unblending, Direct Access, LUP
- Self Presence in the Relational Field
- Internal Communication v. Direct Access & the Dual Attention Frame
1:30–2:00 5. IFS-Informed Assessment Phase
- Optimizing Target Conditions
- Part-specific elements & SUD
- Self-informed PC, Part-specific VOC
- Interpreting EMDR Target Components in PARTS/SELF language
2:00-2:30 6. Flow of IFS-Informed EMDR
- Session Video
2:45–3:30 Experiential Exercise, orVideo: Eliciting Self-Presence in Assessment Phase
3:30-4:15 Demonstration: Eliciting Self-Presence in Assessment Phase
4:15-4:30 Wrap-up, Q&A, Evaluations
After completing this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Name two advantageous aspects of the IFS concept of Self that are not explicitly included in EMDR’s Adaptive Information Processing (AIP) system.
- Explain the relationship between functional Dual Attention and Self-Presence.
- Describe the concept of energy as it applies to Protective Parts and how this can be measured and processed within EMDR.
- Describe the concept of energy as it applies to qualities of Self and how these can be measured and installed as a resource within EMDR.
- Name at least one way that IFS language can used in obtaining a NC, PC or VOC.
Target audience: Mental Health & Associated Professionals,
Level: Intermediate & Advanced
May 1, 2020 or until all training spaces are filled, whichever comes first.
Notification of Acceptance
Applicants will be notified, via email, of acceptance when registration is complete and payment is received.
Tuition/registration payments are refundable (minus $30) until April 15, 2020. Cancellations after this date are non-refundable but registrant will be entitled to a credit towards a future training. . In this situation, we will attempt to find someone to take your slot (based on our waiting list).
Conference site is an accessible, barrier-free location. Reasonable accommodations can be made for individuals with visual and/or hearing impairments if needed.
Nachas Consulting seeks to ensure equitable treatment of every person and to make every attempt to resolve grievances in a fair manner. Please submit a written grievance to firstname.lastname@example.org or 917-862-2427. Grievances will receive, to the best of our ability, corrective action in order to prevent further problems.
Accommodations for the disabled.
Nachas Consulting’s training facilities are not handicap accessible. Individuals needing special accommodations, please contact: email@example.com or 917-862-2427